Nothing heard from MIDI in FC5 with SB Audigy

Matthew Munro denormalised at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 11:59:02 UTC 2006

nigel henry wrote:
> On Monday 19 June 2006 20:52, Matthew Munro wrote:
>> My soundcard appears to be running fine.  I have PCM
>> sound, and my line input is audible.  But I can't get
>> KMid to play music.  I see the tracks being played in
>> `Channel View', but there are no sounds.
>>
>> I have tried as root and non-root and I have tried all
>> the MIDI output devices.  But KMid just spews a load
>> of ALSA messages.  First some `Couldn't allocate
>> queue' messages, then a load of `AlsaOut::eventInit :
>> no source'.
>>
>> I have tried `Test MIDI' in Control Centre too, with
>> no joy.
>>
>> What's happening?  Or not happening?
>
> Hi Mathew. The only Creative soundcards that you can play midi through are the
> EMU ones that have a hardware wavetable synth. Open a Konsole (CLI), type
> alsamixer. Press F2, and you will get details of the soundcard, including the
> driver. If it shows emu10k1 you are ok, but there is a bit more to do.
>
> Presuming that it is an emu10k1 you need to load a soundfont for it to work.
> To load the soundfont you need to install a package "awesfx" (without the
> quotes) (yum install awesfx). With awesfx installed, insert the cdrom that
> came with the soundcard, open it in a file manager. With my Audigy2
> soundblaster the soundfont is in. Audio/common/SFBANK/CT4MGM.SF2. Copy and
> paste it to your /home/user/ directory.
>
> There are 2 loaders that come with the awesfx package. One, sfxload is for the
> OSS (open sound system), and the other, asfxload is for Alsa. On the command
> line type, as root, asfxload <name_of_soundfont> . In my case this would look
> like.
> asfxload CT4MGM.SF2
>
> Apart from trying to play a midi file with Kmid, you can verify if the
> soundfont has been loaded by typing, as user.
> cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1  (changing the card No if you have more
> than 1 card).
>
> If Alsamixer shows that the driver is ca0106 the above won't work, but there
> is a workaround.
>
> Please post back. Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for a great fix.  Everything in your method worked out.  In
addition, I managed to run `asfxload CT4MGM.SF2' as non-root.

By the way, do you have any tips for configuring MIDI input?  I haven't
got around to plugging my MIDI keyboard into the computer yet, but I
imagine that I would need some advance knowledge.

For example, I see no MIDI inputs in the MIDI Manager of the aRts
Control Tool.

Best regards,

Matthew