CUPS printer drivers -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 22 17:30:09 UTC 2006

                    I normally run XFCE with this FC-5 computer.  I have
                    found it impossible to configure my printers
                    directly from the selection provided with the cups
                    set up function.  I have two very common printers,
                    an HP6840 wireless and an Epson Stylus C62 connected
                    to LPT1.

                    I have discovered after seeing something on this
                    list that I can use KDE to set up my printers, the
                    difference being that it provides a very extensive
                    list of printer model numbers including both the
                    printers I am using.  And in each case, when I
                    finally got around to switching to KDE I have been
                    able to restore my printers to operation.  Gnome
                    might accomplish the same thing but I rarely use
                    either one and have not tried it.  So I guess my
                    question is why doesn't CUPS Admin. provide the same
                    driver list?  This seems to be a problem manifest
                    only in the last couple of months ...  In the past
                    I've been able to set up with CUPS alone.

                    Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia   w2bod