FC5 networking question, emachines t3418

Peter Horst phorst at speakeasy.net
Sun Jun 25 20:38:53 UTC 2006

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>[snip as-yet-undiscovered pebkac error]
>>

>Change /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to something like:
>
>DEVICE=eth0
>BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>ONBOOT=yes
>TYPE=Ethernet
>
>Then edit /etc/hosts to look like:
>
>127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost obtunded
>
>(Delete the "192.168.2.123 obtunded" line.)
>
>Then run, as root:
>ifdown eth0
>ifup eth0

Thank you very much for the help. I must be doing something really
screwy - I did as you recommended, then I double-checked my spelling,
but no joy.

Just as a lark I ran:

#dhclient

...then checked /var/log/messages.

I found:

[DATE] obtunded dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port
67 interval [NUMBER]
[DATE] obtunded dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.
[DATE] obtunded dhclient: No working leases in persistent database -
sleeping.

Is this significant?  The thing I don't get is that I just put (what I
thought was) the same software on 2 computers, and the old, crappy box
is fine while the brand-new one doesn't work.

I really appreciate the help.