Fedroa Core 5 Java

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 05:16:31 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, Chong Yu Meng <chongym at cymulacrum.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 18:35 -0700, Jeanette Russo wrote:
> > Can someone please help me troubleshoot why my
> > broswers are not using Java vm.
> >
> > I installed the RPM's from Sun and they installed fine
> > and I can see them load when the machine boots.
> >
> > But neither Firefox or Opera are using the java.
> >
> > I am a kind of new user returning after being away
> > from Linux for the last 4 years
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> Hi Jeanette,
>
> You still need to setup a symbolic link in order to get the Java plugin
> working in your browser:
>
> 1. Locate the plugins directory for your Firefox. It should be something
> like /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.4/plugins
>
> 2. Locate the Java plugin in your Java distribution. The filename should
> be something like libjavaplugin_oji.so. I'm not sure where this file is
> located for Sun's Java, because I never use it on Linux. Anyway, the
> general location should be /path/to/java/jre/bin/
>
> 3. Create a symbolic link:
>
> # ln -s /path/to/java/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_oji.so \
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.4/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Use /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory to hold the links, e.g.

# ln -s /path_to_java/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_oji.so \
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

The /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins location is better because the
Mozilla.org browsers (Mozilla, Firefox, and Seamonkey) look there for
plugins and you will not have to recreate the link when Firefox gets
upgraded.

> 4. Restart the browser and in the address bar, type: about:plugins
>
> 5. You should see the Java plug-in registered there.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> --
> Pascal Chong
[snip]