New Motherboard Install

Randy Wyatt rwwyatt01 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 14:09:42 UTC 2006

On 6/30/06, Don Maxwell <don.maxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that my current motherboard is flaking out on me.  It is 6
> yrs old so I got my money's worth out of it for sure!
>
> What is the prevailing thought on replacing a MB in an existing system?
>
> I really want to preserve what I can in terms of applications and
> configurations.  Obviously, all the I/O will be different. Video,
> audio, and  LAN concerns do give me pause.
>
> The PC has two hard disks:  One 30 GB where most everything resides
> and one 80GB which is my /home partition.
>
> The options seem to be:
> 1) Pop the new MB in and hope that Kudzu figures everything out
> 2) Reinstall FC5 over my existing setup
> 3) Blow away everything on my 30 GB disk and start mostly from
> scratch, using my various backed up .conf files?
>
> Thanks!
>    --Don
>
> --

Will you be changing  the CPU?  and do you use the generic kernel as
provided by redhat?
I have brought up redhat after a moterboard and CPU change just fine.
It only required a little modification.  You will have to reconfigure
X after the system comes up  so you may want to make sure that you
boot into runlevel 3.