Trouble starting postgresql

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 1 16:35:51 UTC 2006

Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 12:37 PM +0100 6/1/06, Paul Howarth wrote:
>> Alan M. Evans wrote:
>>> In any case, in your reply to the message linked above, you say:

>>> And so I wonder: How does bind-mounting help me as regards default
>>> contexts?
>>>
>>> If I place data in /home/pgsql and bind-mount /var/lib/pgsql, then what
>>> is the default context for pgsql? It depends on where restorecon was
>>> run. If "restorecon -R /home" then pgsql will be set to the wrong
>>> context; if "restorecon -R /var/lib" then it will be correct. And if,
>>> for some reason, the entire filesystem gets relabelled, how do I know
>>> which one it will get? I don't see what bind-mounting gains me anything
>>> over my current predicament.
>> You are right (and it illustrates an issue with path-based security). If
>> the system was relabelled, it'd be pot luck whether the /home/pgsql or
>> /var/lib/pgsql contexts were applied. The advantages of doing the bind
>> mount are:
>>
>> 1. No tweaks to policy are needed because everything is where it's
>> expected to be.
>> 2. In the event of having to relabel the system and the contexts getting
>> screwed up, all of the different contexts can be restored in one go with
>> the single command "restorecon -Rv /var/lib/pgsql", as opposed to having
>> to do different chcon commands for each different context that's needed.
>
> Would --move do what is needed?  The space on /home would be used for the
> dir /var/lib/pgsql, which would only be there, and not both places as with
> --bind.

That would be ideal but I've never got "mount --move" to work. Every
time I've tried it I get:
# mount --move /home/pgsql /var/lib/pgsql
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /home/pgsql,
        missing codepage or other error
        dmesg | tail  or so

Perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Paul.