problems with emacs (or tramp) on FC5 ?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Jun 1 22:22:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:10:25PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Every since I have upgraded to FC5, I have had problems with emacs. What I
> observed is after a short time using emacs, the pocess emacs-x goes awol,
> using 100% cpu. If I go back to my emacs window I get the message
>
> Opening output file: no such file or
> directory, /usr/src/build/719136-i386/BUILD/emacs-21.4/src/#RichPixelPositionMonitor.cpp#
>
> where RichPixelPositionMonitor.cpp is the file I am currently editting.
>
> One other possibly important point - I am using the tramp lisp package in
> order to open remote files via ssh (see
> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/tramp)
>
> Previously, on FC4, I had absolutely no problems with emacs+tramp. It worked
> perfectly. The problem only occurred once I upgraded to FC5.

Judging from the file name, I'd say Emacs is trying to create a backup
file.

I've seen a similar problem with tramp on and off for several
years. Emacs tries to save a local backup copy of a remote file to a
similar location, and for obvious reasons fails. I think it's a tramp
bug, but haven't gone hunting for it.

As a workaround, I suppose you could build the directory and give it
appropriate permissions, but I haven't tried it. I usually just wait
until Emacs gives up trying to create the file, and save work files
often.