/dev/tape

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jun 1 22:50:54 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 17:19 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> After installing FC5, I don't see /dev/tape showing up as a symlink
>>> to /dev/nst0 anymore and it disappears after a reboot if I add one
>>> manually to make mt and amanda work.  The tape drive wasn't attached
>>> when I installed - would that make a difference?
>>> /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules does have an entry:
>>> KERNEL=="nst[0-9]", BUS=="scsi",        SYMLINK+="tape-%k", MODE="0660"
>>> and I do have /dev/nst0.  Does it need something else?
>>>
>> Looking at this rule, you probably have something like /dev/tape-0
>> instead of /dev/tape. The %k is replaced with the kernel number, so
>> that /dev/nst0 gets a /dev/tape-0 symlink. /dev/nst1 would get
>> /dev/tape-1, and so forth.
>
> Actually it is making tape-nst0 -> nst0, but that doesn't help
> much.

Oops - you are correct. %k is kernel name, and %n is number. In any
case, if you are only using one tape device, you could create a rule
 to give you /dev/tape and /dev/ntape. What I would do is create a
file in /etc/udev/rules.d called 15-local.rules and put in two lines:

KERNEL=="nst0", BUS=="scsi", SYMLINK+="ntape", MODE="0660"
KERNEL=="st0", BUS=="scsi", SYMLINK+="tape", MODE="0660"

At least, I normally use tape for the rewinding device and ntape for
the non-rewinding device. The name used is not critical as long as
your rules come before the default rules listed above.

Mikkel