RANT: DVD playback is rough

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jun 2 12:20:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 05:14 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I think my DAY of trying to get a commercial DVD movie to play will
> be useful. I have watched whole movies on my FC4 computer. Here is what
> works. You must yum totem and xine as a pair from Europe and also from
> Europe get the Codex files. These 3 things are required and they are all
> from Europe. When these things are all intalled use totem to diplay the
> movie. Xine will not work and neither will mplayer.

Yonks ago I installed mplayer, but not from a yum repo, and I got DVD
playing ability.  On a friend's PC we installed mplayer from Livna, and
that played commercial DVDs fine, so far as I recall.

$ rpm -qa mplayer*
mplayer-skin-Industrial-1.0-1
mplayer-codecs-20050412-1
mplayer-skin-WMP6-2.2-1
mplayer-skin-default-1.4-1
mplayer-skin-slim-1.2-1
mplayer-gui-1.0pre7-1
mplayer-skin-avifile-1.6-1
mplayer-skin-plastic-1.2-1
mplayer-skin-xmmplayer-1.1-1
mplayer-codecs-extra-20050412-1
mplayer-skin-XFce4-1.0-1
mplayer-1.0pre7-1
mplayer-skin-DVDPlayer-1.1-1

(You don't need more than one skin, I was just trying things out.)

More recently I've installed Xine and VLC to try them out, from Livna,
and they'll play commercial DVDs, too.  Xine being probably the least
painful to use (VLC seems a bit taxing on my system).

I've never got the applications that FC4 tried to use to play a DVD, by
default, to work.

I read messages from the public lists.