Usual "forbidden items" explanation

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 12:31:37 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> I've never got the applications that FC4 tried to use to play a DVD, by
> default, to work.

Not surprising -- they're not meant to work for most DVDs. Supplying the
code to read most DVD's CSS may well be a violation of the USA's DCMA,
and the MPEG2 encoding is patented. So Fedora *can't* legally supply
open-source programs to play most DVDs. (I believe that FC4's programs
can play a few DVDs, though, so Fedora aims to be compatible with
those).

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems#head-81ea9196bc459b5f7827b58e9c0e70d3631c18f0

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Ah yes. Thingie and thingamagig, and I'll throw in
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | whatchamacallit too. Because in tech support, "button"