FC5 & OpenOffice.org

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Sat Jun 3 20:40:36 UTC 2006

Peter Gordon wrote:
> Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>> I note that Fedora have seen fit to build a private version of
>> OpenOffice.org with changes in the user interface that I find
>> un-palatable. Consequently I wish to remove all trace of this
>> version and install the "real" thing.
> If you're referring to just the different icon theme (which I also
> rather dislike), you can change this by opening OpenOffice.org, then
> selecting "Options" from the "Tools" menu. Then, in the
> "OpenOffice.org" section, select the "View" item and you can change
> the icon theme using the "Icon size and style" option. The "Default"
> icon theme is the icons as shipped from upstream. You could also try
> the other ones there such as Crystal (which is meant to be KDE-like)
> and such.

No, it's not the icons, but that tip has made OOo much more usable on my
Debian system! I use OOo on several Linux and Windows systems and I want
a common interface, not Fedora's idea of a new wheel (particularly the
File menu and its missing Address Data Source wizard):-)

>> It seems that the FC5 build did not use RPM to install this product
>>  and I would therefore be grateful for any advice on the
>> recommended method of removal. I assume that using find with
>> appropriate use of rm -r might be a sledgehammer to crack this nut,
>> but it's all I can think of currently.

> If you really want to remove it, you can simply `yum remove
> openoffice.org-core` as root, as all of OpenOffice.org depends on
> these core components and thus will be removed with them.

That sounds like good advice, thank you.

Peter HB