Changing host

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Sun Jun 4 02:09:39 UTC 2006

under.actuate at gmail.com wrote:
> Hey,
>
> You know how, when Linux boots, just before the GUI login screen
> appears, you see the console and it looks like
>
> localhost.localdomain:
>
> It just sits there briefly and then goes to the GUI login screen.
> Well, this is how it looked for me until just barely.  Now it looks like
>
> computer_name:
>
> Is there any way to get this back to being localhost.localdomain?
> Also, how do I get to the GUI from the console?
>
> Jared

I don't know about the computer_name deal, is that what you named it at
some point?  As for getting to the GUI from console, startx works,
startkde also works if you are using KDE.  And I think (and don't quote
me) gdm will start gnome, although I've never done that before since
I've used KDE almost exclusively the last year or so.

--
Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator