Changing host

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Sun Jun 4 03:18:06 UTC 2006

CodeHeads wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 22:09:39 -0400 "Mark Haney" <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>

>> under.actuate at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> You know how, when Linux boots, just before the GUI login screen
>>> appears, you see the console and it looks like
>>>
>>> localhost.localdomain:
>>>
>>> It just sits there briefly and then goes to the GUI login screen.
>>> Well, this is how it looked for me until just barely.  Now it looks like
>>>
>>> computer_name:
>>>
>>> Is there any way to get this back to being localhost.localdomain?
>>> Also, how do I get to the GUI from the console?
>>>
>>> Jared
>>>

>> I don't know about the computer_name deal, is that what you named it at
>> some point?  As for getting to the GUI from console, startx works,
>> startkde also works if you are using KDE.  And I think (and don't quote
>> me) gdm will start gnome, although I've never done that before since
>> I've used KDE almost exclusively the last year or so.
>>

> $startx will take you to your last login desktop.  If you used Gnome last, it
> will take you there, and vise-versa with KDE.
>
> As far as the localhost.localdomain You can get to this, if you are using
> Gnome, under System => Administration => Network
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Will

    You probably want to check /etc/hosts.  there should be a line:
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost

If this is o.k., there are a few other files that might be the problem.
You could google hostname, or write back and I'm sure some one will give
you a list of places to check.

Scott