timer broken (was Re: fc5 hangs)

David L idht4n at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 4 14:23:14 UTC 2006

>>>Two days in a row my fc5 computer has frozen soon after I start using it
>>>in the morning.
>>However, I have more information about the problem.  I think I
>>misdiagnosed the problem...
>>it appears that the mouse/keyboard are not completely unresponsive...
>>they're are just
>>responding extremely slowly.
>
>I think I've discovered an important clue.?  I noticed the time
>was frequently way off when this problem occurred, so I tried
>cat /proc/interrupts | grep timer
>
>The timer interrupt is incrementing very slowly.  Instead of
>1000 Hz it's incrementing about once or twice per minute.  What
>would cause that?  I had ntpd running, but I killed it.

The overnight average for my fc5 box was one timer
interrupt every ~32 seconds.  I left it running in case
somebody posted a diagnostic for me to try while it
was in this state, but no responses, so I rebooted it
this morning so I can start getting some work done.
It took about 10 minutes to reboot, but after it rebooted,
it was operating normally again (1000 Hz timer
interrupts) and good responsiveness.  Any thoughts
on why my timer seems to change to about 1/2^15
slower interrupt rate than usual?  IIRC, this system
is pretty much vanilla fc5.  I haven't installed any
RPMs that aren't from fedora updates or extras.

Thanks...

           David