Changing host

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jun 4 17:40:55 UTC 2006

under.actuate at gmail.com wrote:
> Hey,
>
> You know how, when Linux boots, just before the GUI login screen
> appears, you see the console and it looks like
>
> localhost.localdomain:
>
> It just sits there briefly and then goes to the GUI login screen.  Well,
> this is how it looked for me until just barely.  Now it looks like
>
> computer_name:
>
> Is there any way to get this back to being localhost.localdomain?  Also,
> how do I get to the GUI from the console?
>
> Jared

It sounds like you may have set the hostname. The first place to
check this would be ether the network GUI tool, or
/etc/sysconfig/network.

As for getting back to X, if you used Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to the CLI,
then Ctrl-F7 or Ctrl-Alt-F7 should take you back. (It is possible to
change the VT that X is on, as well as have more then one X
secession, but the default setup will have it in vt7.) If I remember
correctly, the "Windows" key is also set up to cycle through the VTs
when you are at the CLI. It usually is set to do something else in X.

Mikkel