Kernel Differences Woes

Rod Haper rhaper at houston.rr.com
Mon Jun 5 04:12:30 UTC 2006

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Rod Haper writes:
>
>> Okay, let me try this again by restating my problem in a little
>> different way.
>>
>> I have a generic AMD Athlon XP, VIA chipset mainboard based system
>> that will boot FC4 and run just fine with the FC4 baseline
>> 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 stock kernel but when I boot the updated
>> 2.6.16-1.2111_FC4 stock kernel it fails to include some of the
>> hardware devices like the ethernet interface, USB mouse, etc.  The
>> same problem occurs with the FC5 baseline stock kernel.  What is
>> different in the two stock kernels that could be causing this problem
>> and, more importantly, what can I do to fix the problem?
>>
>> I also have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that has similar problems.  It
>> will boot and run the FC4 baseline 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 stock kernel and
>> kernels through the early 1400 builds but for all following stock
>> kernel updates the PCMCIA ethernet device is not included.
>

> The only thing you can do is file your hardware particulars in bugzilla,
> and hope that someone, sometime, will get around to looking at it.
>
> With the size of the kernel exploding over the last 5 years, or so,
> unless you're using common hardware that the majority of people use,
> you're going to be operating in the "if it works, great, if it doesn't,
> you're screwed" mode.
>
> At least you can boot.  One of my machines can't boot anything newer
> than 2.6.13-1.1532, without panicing.

Sam,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.  I guess I'll go ahead and file
bugzilla reports for the two systems but I won't hold my breath.  I've
searched bugzilla several times for similar problems without any luck.
I suspect the problem is related to changes in udev. In the meantime,
I'll just continue running FC4 with the old 1369 kernel.

--
Rod