sendmail questions about deferred messages

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jun 5 13:31:51 UTC 2006

Ambrogio wrote:
> Il giorno dom, 04/06/2006 alle 19.19 +0100, Paul Howarth ha scritto:
>
>> Do your messages eventually get through?
>>
>> Can you post some sample entries from /var/log/maillog regarding
>> sendmail failing to deliver something straight away? Please do not
>> obfuscate hostnames, domain names, or IP addresses as they could be
>> relevant.
> OK, today in the morning I had 71 messages.
> When fetchmail reach about 50 it pause retrieving for 5 minutes.
> mailq says that 20 messages are in queue.
> The queue reach a maximum of 26 messages

(snip)

> maillog and procmail log are attached as zip file

I don't see any retries happening in the mail log; mail is taking up to
5 minutes to be delivered in some cases but it all seems to be getting
through at the first attempt. I don't see anything unusual in the
procmail log either. If you're having DNS issues then I agree that it
would be a good idea to set up and use a caching nameserver on your own
system.

Paul.