problems with emacs (or tramp) on FC5 ?

Steve Juranich sjuranic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 14:40:02 UTC 2006

Eric Brunson wrote:

> I imagine you'd have similar problems since the crux of the issue is
> that emacs can't write its backup to the directory you're editing in.
> Nothing intrinsic to tramp at all.

Not as I understand it.  From what I gather (because I've bumped into this
before using TRAMP), the problem is that you'll use tramp to open the file:
/path/to/some/foreign/directory/with/file, which works fine.  But Emacs
doesn't know that it has to use an SSH connection to some host to create a
backup, so it's looking to
create /path/to/some/foreign/directory/with/file~, on the *LOCAL* machine,
which may or may not exist.

I guess that the other solution would be to write your own little hook for
C-x C-s (looks like write-file-hooks would do it).

--
Steve Juranich
Tucson, AZ