problems with emacs (or tramp) on FC5 ?

Rickey Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 16:59:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 07:34 -0700, Steve Juranich wrote:

> You'll need to put yourself in the `fuse' group, I belive.  Can't remember
> for sure, do an ls -l $(which fusermount).  You also might need to do a
> modprobe on the kernel module it provides (not sure if the %post script in
> the RPM takes care of this or not).  I believe the module is called fuse.
> Again, can't remember for sure (and I'm not at my home computer), but do
> "rpm -ql sshfs" and look for something getting installed in /lib/modules.
>
> Sorry, if I was sitting at home, I could give you more concrete examples,
> but I'm doing this all from memory right now.  If you hit any brick walls,
> let me know.  I've been running sshfs with both Debian Sarge and Fedora
> Core for about 6 months now and haven't had any real problems.
>
> The only problem that I've had (and I think there's a workaround for this, I
> just haven't had the time/energy to look into it) is how to make sure that
> the connection stays alive while it's mounted.

from the readme::

The idea of sshfs was taken from the SSHFS filesystem distributed with
LUFS, which I found very useful.  There were some limitations of that
codebase, so I rewrote it.  Features of this implementation are:

  - Based on FUSE (the best userspace filesystem framework for Linux ;)

  - Multithreading: more than one request can be on it's way to the
    server

  - Allowing large reads (max 64k)

  - Caching directory contents

  - Reconnect on failure

Latest version
==============

The latest version and more information can be found on

  http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

How to mount a filesystem
=========================

Once sshfs is installed (see next section) running it is very simple:

  sshfs hostname: mountpoint

Note, that it's recommended to run it as user, not as root.  For this
to work the mountpoint must be owned by the user.  If the username is
different on the host you are connecting to, then use the
"username at host:" form.  If you need to enter a password sshfs will ask
for it (actually it just runs ssh which ask for the password if
needed).  You can also specify a directory after the ":".  The default
is the home directory.

Also many ssh options can be specified (see the manual pages for
sftp(1) and ssh_config(5)), including the remote port number
('-oport=PORT')

... so any keepalive feature in ssh can be used.
Ric