Normal linux in Mac 86

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin06 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 5 22:46:31 UTC 2006

Marc M wrote:

> Check google, yahoo and other group listing websites for this.  I know
> there is a movement somewhere for 'linux on a mac'.  I guess you would
> look for keywords for whatever chipset you are looking to get.
>
> I know a developer who runs a Unix/linux based business and carries an
> ibook for his laptop, says it will do everything he needs such as
> kernel tweaking, all the cool multimedia stuff etc.

I had an iBook for a while, ran OSX (yes, very stable, very nice) and
with Fink I could run lotso my fave FOSS apps.
Also, I used Gentoo on it briefly.
Yellow Dog Linux is a RH based distro for ppc/macs.

> The case could probably be made that (with OS X) since it is
> (suppossedly) running a BSD type kernel -- that it is more stable than
> practically anything else, but that is the start of a flame war that I
> would rather not start.  I might be doing the same thing.  I am
> getting REAL tired of the 4-letter word (dell)....

That´s why I roll my own, never buy a pre-fab machine and pay the M$
tax...try http://www.tigerdirect.com for good deals on components.
tony

--
Anthony Baldwin
Translator / Court Qualified Interpreter / Certified English Teacher

http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
English, Français, Español & Português
860-399-7118 / 860-235-8233