[ltp] Ubuntu Dapper on a22p - 1 data pt.

Paul Michael Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Tue Jun 6 18:39:20 UTC 2006

Harry Mangalam <harry.mangalam at uci.edu> writes:

 > Hi All,
 >
 > I previously posted my experiences with Breezy, mostly to the positive.  I
 > recently upgraded 2 systems to Dapper and with one glaring exception, the old
 > Thinkpad a22p works well with it.

I upgraded my A31p to Dapper recently and I was quite impressed at
first.  Eventually though I switched back to FC5.  I don't have any
comments on APM vs ACPI since I use my box more as a desktop system
than a laptop but in both Dapper and FC5 I found that dual head was
severely broken.  I now understand this is an xorg issue with two fixes
(googling "dual head radeon xorg" should get you the relevant bugzilla
numbers).

 > final IMHO: Ubuntu (and all debian-based systems) continue to demonstrate the
 > superiority of apt over rpm/yum-based systems.  In comparison, administering
 > FC4 and FC5-based systems makes my teeth hurt. apt- isn't perfect, but it's
 > by far the best installation/maint tool I've ever used.

Fascinating.  It was system management on Xubuntu that drove me back
to FC5.  I hated synaptic (the GUI tool) and far prefer yum.  In all
fairness, I "grew up" with rpm/yum so they are second nature to me.
Also, I went to build Emacs from CVS on Xubuntu and it was like
pulling teeth.  I never did get the X headers installed.  Even worse
was getting sshd working.  And while I got sshd running, I never did
figure out how to configure it so that I could log into the box with
local and remote forwarding configured.  I finally decided that, as
much as I love the XFCE4.4 desktop, I did not have the energy to
become an apt/debian/ubuntu sysadmin.  Better to work with Rawhide
development and make sure XFCE4.4. is tested well and works on my A31p
when FC6 comes out.

FWIW, I had a similar experience with Suse 10.1 about a month ago,
when it first came out.  These experiences with Suse and Ubuntu have
given me a new respect for Fedora ... but I'll still rant anyway. :-)

-pmr