/dev/root mount failure

Hadders fedora at workingwithit.com
Tue Jun 6 21:05:21 UTC 2006

Hello all.
  My hardware setup uses a RAID-0 ATA array for Windows and a second hard
disk (/dev/hda) for my FC5 install.   I just installed FC5 a couple of days
ago and on first boot I get the following error

Trying to resume from LABEL=SWAP-hda3
No suspend signature on swap, not resuming
Creating root device.
Mouting root filesystem.
mount: could not find file system '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Kernel panic ..

The partition layout for /dev/hda is
  /dev/hda1 NTFS
  /dev/hda2 ext3 aka /
  /dev/hda3 SWAP
  /dev/hda4 vfat

My primary boot device is a RAID 0 ATA array and the second disk (/dev/hda)
is not marked as active for boot, does that matter?

I'm using Windows XP boot manager to load a dd of the /dev/hda2 boot sector.
I run 'dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/tmp/fc5_dd_hda2.img bs=512 count=1' to grab the
first 512 bytes of the linux partitions boot sector.

I'm also using Lilo as my boot manager as grub hung when trying to load.

Please, any help would be appreciated

Thank You.
  Hadders