Linpopup replacement?

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Wed Jun 7 06:29:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 23:24 -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> I don't know about preferred, but you might want to give xmessage or
> zenity a try.

Unfortunately, both of them are X apps, wanting to connect to the X
server. This isn't possible. I need a mechanism to pass a text message
from a script to an X app running on some X server. That X app can then
do the displaying.

Basically, like running "nc -l -u 1234|zenity --text-info" and then
doing something like "echo "Hello world" | nc -u -w 1 localhost 1234"
from inside the script. I'm looking for a better way than using
netcat...

Cheers
Steffen.