fedora-extras-commits-list (was Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jun 7 07:00:11 UTC 2006

Am Mittwoch, den 07.06.2006, 08:05 +0200 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 07:17 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > > Yes, the FESCo Gods in their incomprehensible wisdom had decided they
> > > wanted a separate list, now they've got what wanted: Basically a list
> > > archive, nobody reads.
> > <nitpicking>The List archive of fedora-extras-commits-list goes back up
> > to "2004-November". FESCo was founded on the first FudCon iirc on "18
> > February 2005" and the first Meeting-Summary is from "24 February 2005"
> > http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SteeringCommittee/Meetings
> > </nitpicking>
> > SCNR ;-)
> The list archive, yes, but the decision to split out commit-mails from
> fedora-extras list had been taken and proposed by you (IIRC, it was you
> THL or Warren).

I think you accidentally confuse things. commit-mails were always send
to commits list. Warren proposed to have a separate list for the
"Bugzilla-Spam" for reviews. That was accepted by FESCo some months ago
and the list is "fedora-package-review at redhat.com".

> This decisions of yours has caused fedora-commit list to degrade to a
> list-archive feed, apparently not being read. [...]

The only thing we changed for "fedora-commits-list" since it was created
was to change the "Reply-To" to fedora-extras-list.

> > > I told them before, but they refused to listen ;)
> > Ranting appreciated, but helping working out something that works better
> > much preferred; FESCo has a long todo-list already and really needs a
> > bit more help.
> As I said then: maintainers should obliged to subscribe to fedora-commit-list.

I'd say it won't make much of a difference. People will set up a filter
to /dev/null to get rid of it if they don't want it (I know some that
did).

 [...]
> An alternative way would be to merge it with an
> fedora-extras-maintainers-list.
>
> Or putting it differently: If you want to improve QA, I don't see an
> alternative to making reading all commits mandatory.[...]

How do you want do enforce that people actually read the mails? You
can't.

[...]
> >  But
> > we're already short of reviewers and sponsors for extras and have a long
> > list of packages still under review so this probably will fail due do a
> > lack of time/interest/manpower.
> ... agreed, I doubt this will work out.
> Instead, I'd suggest to implement maintainer teams/task forces and
> groups of maintainers.

Write a proposal, send it to fedora-extras-list for comments. If FESCo
and most people on the list agree we'll go for it.

CU
thl