kde in extras - the devel discussion

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 7 07:24:22 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 21:01 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> As a matter of interest, what proportion of Fedora people use KDE, and
> what proportion Gnome?

It's a pity this mailing list doesn't support user polls (one that lets
each person provide one answer, but not vote multiple times), then you
could ask that sort of thing without starting a huge thread.

Personally, I've preferred Gnome.  I've tried KDE over the years, but
found it irritating.  Particularly the copy the stupid Windows Explorer
idea of making Konqueror an all-in-one file and web browser.  And the
whacking huge deskbar with convoluted systray clone put me off.  It's
probably completely configurable, but I've always hated *having* to
immediately go around configuring the stupidity out of everything in
site.

I've often heard it said that Windows users might be more comfortable
starting out with KDE, but I don't see why.  Gnome and KDE are
sufficiently different, and neither seems closer to how Windows is than
the other, to me.  Having recently got a die-hard Windows user
interested in trying it out, he came to the same conclusions.

I like the KISS principle, and I think KDE runs in the opposite
direction.

I read messages from the public lists.