kde in extras - the devel discussion

Andy Goss aegoss at vicnet.net.au
Wed Jun 7 09:22:54 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 16:54 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 21:01 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > As a matter of interest, what proportion of Fedora people use KDE, and
> > what proportion Gnome?
>
> It's a pity this mailing list doesn't support user polls (one that lets
> each person provide one answer, but not vote multiple times), then you
> could ask that sort of thing without starting a huge thread.
>
> Personally, I've preferred Gnome.  I've tried KDE over the years, but
> found it irritating.  Particularly the copy the stupid Windows Explorer
> idea of making Konqueror an all-in-one file and web browser.  And the
> whacking huge deskbar with convoluted systray clone put me off.  It's
> probably completely configurable, but I've always hated *having* to
> immediately go around configuring the stupidity out of everything in
> site.
>
> I've often heard it said that Windows users might be more comfortable
> starting out with KDE, but I don't see why.  Gnome and KDE are
> sufficiently different, and neither seems closer to how Windows is than
> the other, to me.  Having recently got a die-hard Windows user
> interested in trying it out, he came to the same conclusions.
>
> I like the KISS principle, and I think KDE runs in the opposite
> direction.
>
> --
> (Currently running FC4, occasionally trying FC5.)

I use KDE, but I prefer the GNOME layout, so I have customised my KDE
into top and bottom bars. SUSE seem to have merged their GNOME into once
KDE-style bottom bar, can't see how that will work without the double
layer used by KDE.
The KDE bar does not have to be so bulky, it can be configured to modest
proportions, but it is still not as economical a use of space as GNOME.

Andy Goss