kde in extras - the devel discussion

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 09:43:44 UTC 2006

On 6/6/06, Mike Cohler <mike.cohler at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see that there is a long thread in fedora-devel about whether to
> push KDE out into extras. There are a lot of people out there (Linus T
> for one !) who feel that KDE should be part of the OS.  I would hate
> to see KDE pushed out of the core.
>
> What do you think ?
>

> mike cohler

HOLD UP - WAIT A MINUTE

I leave you guys for a day or so and this is what happens? I come
today checking the fedora-devel list and I see a thread discussing KDE
to extras. Come to fedora-general, same thread but longer.

Come on guys. It hurt enough when they moved XFCE to extras - the
reasoning then was that few people used it, thought it was great to
have on server type machines. There are already a mirad of "free" and
"non-free" packages that at least I _need_ to install to make my
Fedora desktop installtion complete, adding KDE to that list is just,
well that hurts. That leaves me with only the community of Fedora to
like.

And for those who say that Extras is not a second class citizen, then
what is Extras in the absence of an internet connection? I think
Extras is great, and has a lot of stuff but guys really.

There are many gnome dependencies that should be looked at long before
exiling KDE from Core. Last FC5 install, I uncheck Gnome, and checked
KDE, but I still have the entire gnome-desktop package and nautilus
installed.

If this is really the direction Fedora is taking, please make a
general announcement and let us all know.

Peace to all.

--
To be updated...