kde in extras - the devel discussion

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Wed Jun 7 11:39:34 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 12:33, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 11:35 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> > Norm wrote:
> > > Personally I prefer Gnome, but then that is my choice.  One thing I
> > > like about Linux when compared to that other operating system is
> > > one does have choices.
> > > My feeling is the core of Fedora at 5 cd's is getting a little out
> > > of hand; if I may make a suggestion in this area why not reduce the
> > > core to a true minimum needed to intiate an installation and create
> > > bundles of
> >
> > I have suggested this before, only much more hard'core'.  The "true
> > minimum' needed to initiate an installation is a relatively small
> > packageset that does not require X or a Desktop Environment, in fact
> > I proposed to precook that minimum into a tarball and poop it onto
> > your HDD in one shot, boot into that and bring in what you need in a
> > < 1 minute install action.
> >
> > Put another way, no playing favourites, blow Gnome into Extras too,
> > turn the actual 'core' into something that is good for Firewalls,
> > routers, server duties AND the basis of a Desktop box.
>
> +1
>
> Ralf

All very well for experienced users and for those with high speed
connections for the downloads.

However I can see new users having major problems. That is unless it's
made "very very" easy to install other packages and groups of packages.
Remember a new user doesn't want to have to learn about core and extras
and the difference. Nor does she/he want to know all about yum. They just
want a system that works "out of the box".

Tony
--

Tony Molloy.

Dept. of Comp. Sci.