Lucifer Lives (AKA libecal-1.2.so.3)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 7 19:42:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 14:28 -0400, Beartooth wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:10:32 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 13:51 -0400, Beartooth wrote:
>
> >> I tried [root at localhost btth]# yum install gnome-panel --exclude=evolution\*
> >> but it ended, yet again, with
> >>
> >> Resolving Dependencies
> >> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> >> ---> Package gnome-panel.i386 0:2.14.1-1.fc5.1 set to be updated
> >> --> Running transaction check
> >> --> Processing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.3 for package: gnome-panel
> >> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.3 is needed by package gnome-panel
> >> [root at localhost btth]#
> >
> > Interesting. I wonder which versions you have at the moment?
> >
> > $ rpm -q evolution-data-server gnome-panel
>
> Thanks for the last line; I wasn't sure which versions of what you meant.
>
> [root at localhost btth]# rpm -q evolution-data-server gnome-panel
> evolution-data-server-1.6.2-1.fc5.1
> package gnome-panel is not installed

OK, you have got the updated evolution-data-server package that is
causing everyone problems. You've managed to get it installed because
you don't currently have anything installed that depends on the old
version of evolution-data-server.

Try this:
# rpm -Uvh --oldpackage
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/evolution-data-server-1.6.1-1.fc5.2.i386.rpm
# yum install gnome-panel

If that works, you'll then be in the same boat as the rest of us...

> [root at localhost btth]#
> >
> >> And why does evolution get in on it, anyway? How did it ever even get
> >> installed? gnome-panel must not have required it before
> >
> > gnomw-panel has had a dependency on the libraries provided by
> > evolution-data-server since FC3 and probably long before that too.
> >
> >>  -- I've been
> >> running it since who goosed the moose, and always refused to install
> >> evolution, without any trouble.
> >
> > evolution != evolution-data-server
>
> So x-y-z does not imply y subordinate to nor requiring x, nor similarly
> with y & z??

Not in this case. The evolution-data-server package contains some of the
evolution libraries also used by packages other than evolution;
splitting it out like this enables the other packages to be installed
without having to install evolution itself.

Paul.