Yum Update Dep error

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 7 20:01:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 21:35 +0200, Jeremy Thompson wrote:

> On 6/7/06, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>         Jeremy Thompson wrote:
>         > Ok,
>         >  I can't get it to update with any of the fixes posted -
>         >
>         > yum --exclude=evolution* update
>         > yum --exclude=evolution/* update
>         > yum --exclude=evolution update
>         > yum --exclude=evolution* update
>         > yum --exclude=evolution*,evolution update
>
>         You need a backslash in front of the *, otherwise the shell
>         will try
>         to expand it.  Alternatively, you can quote the string and
>         skip the
>         backslash.
>
>         Either of the following work fine:
>
>             yum --exclude "evolution*" update
>             yum --exclude evolution\* update
>
> No such luck, I copy/pasted straight from your email -
>
> --------------------------
>
> [root at localhost yum.repos.d]# yum --exclude evolution\* update
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> core
> [1/3]
> extras
> [2/3]
> updates
> [3/3]
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package postgresql-libs.i386 0:8.1.4-1.FC5.1 set to be updated
> ------<SNIP>------
> ---> Package pirut.noarch 0:1.0.3-0.fc5 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: gstreamer-tools >= 0.10.4 for package:
> gstreamer
> --> Processing Dependency: libpisock.so.9 for package: evolution
> --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package gstreamer-tools.i386 0:0.10.4-1 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: libpisock.so.9 for package: evolution
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: libpisock.so.9 is needed by package
> evolution
>
> [root at localhost yum.repos.d]# yum --exclude "evolution*" update
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> core
> [1/3]
> extras
> [2/3]
> updates
> [3/3]
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> -----<SNIP>-----
> ---> Package pirut.noarch 0:1.0.3-0.fc5 set to be updated
> [...]

You're in an unfortunate position here. I think you have the original
FC5 version of evolution installed, which was linked against
libpisock.so.9. There were so many issues with that version of the
library that an updated was released to downgrade it to libpisock.so.8.
In order to do this downgrade on your system, you'll need to update all
of the packages that depend on libpisock. That includes evolution, but
you can't do that easily because of the evolution-data-server
brokenness.

Try this:
# wget
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/evolution-2.6.1-1.fc5.2.i386.rpm
# yum localinstall evolution-2.6.1-1.fc5.2.i386.rpm

See how that goes.

Paul.