LVM magic in initrd, or "making an initrd without modules"

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Thu Jun 8 06:07:31 UTC 2006

Hi all,
I've built a custom kernel, based on the 2122 source. The distinctive
feature of this kernel is the lack of support for loadable modules, all
required drivers and features are compiled in.

I'm also using LVM on that system, which leads to the issue that the
machine won't boot: the kernel panics after failing to find the root
device. In grub.conf it is listed as root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00.

I suspected that for booting with / on a logical volume some extra
functionality would be required that needs to be put into the initrd.
Unfortunately, I have been unable to make an initrd, mkinitrd insists on
a module tree.

If I "steal" the initrd from the stock 2122 kernel, the machine boots
fine. How can I make an initrd for a kernel with no modules and no
module support? One that just contains the functionality to boot an LVM
system?

Cheers
Steffen.