FTP diff via script?

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 8 09:42:10 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 6/8/06, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> tree

rsync can use shells eg ssh. But I don't think you could use ftp as the
"shell" ?

>> > Wasn't aware that rsync supported FTP, will have to checkup on that.
>>
>> I didn't say it supported FTP....  It is a transfer mechanism on to
>> itself.  But, it does what I think you are asking.  It will only
>> transfer the bits that have changed.
>>

> Well thanks, but the data to be transfered is only accessible to me
> via ftp....sadly.
There is a later ftp server/client standard that includes modified times
and sizes being available within the protocol. Not every server supports
it, nor every client, but this seems like it would be an efficient way
to achieve it. Some software (w32) I use compares these before
downloading from the master ftp server. I do not know what linux
servers/clients support this enh protocol.

DaveT