pop3 webmail client

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-gmane.00001 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Thu Jun 8 16:20:44 UTC 2006

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> Is there any pop3 webmail client (browsed based) under Linux

Yeah, as Mike has already said:

If just you want to *read* your email using a browser, then all you need
is *any* browser and the email service provider's settings for the
account (i.e. address, username and password). You don't need any
special software for this (although IIRC "AOL" used to be a different
matter).

If you want to *host* a webmail service, then you need a mail->web
gateway server like squirrelmail or horde-imp, and (usually) an IMAP
backend. I have no experience of hosting a purely POP3 server over HTTP
- although I would presume that you'd need to forward the pop-mail onto
IMAP before being able to access it over the Web.

Think about it. POP3 is relay, not storage like IMAP. If your web
browser "fetched" POP3 messages, where would it store them?

-
K.