FC5 unbootable after yesterday's updates

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Jun 8 17:16:26 UTC 2006

Did a normal yum update - enabled repos were core, updates,
extras, kde-redhat-stable, and kde-redhat-testing (both
kde-redhat include the 'all')

I didn't make a list but the major stuff updated was gnome and
evolution.

The machine won't boot into current or previous kernel. It gets
to just before the log-in screen and locks up with a blue screen
and a frozen pointer. If I boot into run-level 3, I get a log in
prompt, but it won't accept a user name - it just returns the
same prompt after entering the user.

On start-up, I see failures to start crond, sshd, cupsd, and
atd -
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, Md, USA