Clock applet is more expensive than other clocks!

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-gmane.00001 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Thu Jun 8 17:12:17 UTC 2006

Paul Johnson wrote:
> During the past weekend, when the problem with evolution-data-server
>  and gnome-panel existed, I could not get the gnome clock-applet to
> run.
<...>
> Now the gnome clock is back, and just for fun I compared the cost of
>  the  clocks.  If I'm reading this ps output correctly, the gnome
> clock-applet uses almost 1% of 1gig system memory and it uses 9x as
> much as the wmCalClock or wmclock.  Am I reading this right?

Well you've answered your own query.

The reason the gnome-clock-applet is so bloated, is because it hooks
into evolution-data-server libecal.

Frankly, if it wasn't for Beagle and the clock, I wouldn't have anything
to do with Evolution on this system - I'd much prefer it that way.

I don't use Evolution - I don't want Evolution - but I have to install
it for it's dependants.

Both Evolution and Beagle come from Novell, so I can understand why the
two are linked, but it's about time that we found some way of replacing
some of the bloated dependencies for a lot of Fedora components (extras
or otherwise), either by isolating and modularising those components
(i.e. libecal) or replacing them with alternatives.

-
K.