kde in extras - the devel discussion

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin06 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 8 17:55:49 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> [ snip ]
>

>> I am somewhat of a newcomer to Linux and at a loss to understand the
>> almost fanatical support of KDE.
>

> I can assure you, releatively speaking, support for KDE is _not_
> fanatical. Possibly the opposite.

Oh, come on now.
I LOVE KDE!

>>  When I was first exposed to Linux in
>> RH9 I found that KDE did not work consistently
>

> and that finding was quite possibly right. I started with RH8.0 +6
> Gnome myself.

Geez...I´ve been using KDE since RH 7.1, and I´ve never had a problem
with it at all.

>> and chose to use GNome.
>> Recently I have started to use core 5.   KDE may work well in the
>> current distro but I have become more familiar with GNome; apart from a
>> personal preference I can see no technical reason to consider one better
>> than the other.
>

> That, my friend, is because you have not used both.

Honestly, I don´t have the technical knowledge to even assess that.
I just know that I prefer a large number of KDE´s apps (sure, you could
run them in gnome, but why?), and I enjoy the
greater configurability that KDE affords me.  So, apart from the large
number of really, really cool KDE apps,
it´s aesthetic as much as anything else on my part.

>>  I assume by the strong support from many there may be a
>> technical reason to support KDE over GNome, what are they.
>

> I don't think you will see anyone answering this question. At least
> not in this thread. This is just asking for a flame war.

Hey...make .rpms, not war...

tony

--
Anthony Baldwin
Translator / Court Qualified Interpreter / Certified English Teacher

http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
English, Français, Español & Português
860-399-7118 / 860-235-8233