SELinux

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 9 14:50:03 UTC 2006

--- "Gregory P. Ennis" <PoMec at PoMec.Net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 14:24 +0100, Paul Howarth
> wrote:
>

> > SELinus is far from being window-dressing; when
> configured properly it
> > is capable of restricting each process to the
> minimum capabilities that
> > that process needs to do its job, and most
> exploits require that
> > processes be circumvented to so something else,
> hence SELinux offers
> > protection against those exploits.
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> I really like the idea of SELinux, but have had to
> turn it to permissive
> mode until I can learn how to tweak it for my
> purposes.  I just have not
> had the time to do this yet.  Are their tutorials
> you would recommend.
> On one of my trips to Barnes and Knoble I looked for
> some published work
> on SELinux but could not find anything.
>
> Greg
>
> --

In some regards, I disabled it on a machine running
FC3 because it did not let me do anything.  I could
not get it to work properly.  However on most of my
other machines FC4 and FC5 respectively, selinux is
running and yes there are some problems but I was
persistant and asked and asked and by reading and
carefully studying the tutorials and by some sort of
luck everything started to work again.

It is better to have it enabled.  If something does
not work, ask for help, and (worst case scenario) no
one provides help and you feel helpless and have tried
this and that and it does not work.  Set it to
permissive or disable it.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux

Regards,

Antonio