firefox update

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Jun 9 19:16:52 UTC 2006

On Friday 09 June 2006 19:59, John Wendel wrote:
> James Wilkinson wrote:
> > Globe Trotter wrote:
> >> just wondering when the updated firefox rpm will show up? as many as
> >> 13(?) patches were issued more than a week ago to get firefox 1.5.0.4.
> >
> > There's a related story on lwn.net about Firefox updates:
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/186614/
>
> As we rednecks like to say, "the lord helps those who help themselves".
>
> Just yum remove firefox, install the 1.5.0.4 tarball in /usr/local,
> and be happy.
>
> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master--and if you use the
> program, he is your master.", RMS.
>
> "Every RPM package has a lord, a master--and if you use the package,
> he is your master.", Me.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Hi John. I've been doing just that with earlier versions of FC. I DL the
latest version to whatever is booted up, copy it to my fat32 partition on
another disc that I keep backups on, and then update Firefox to the various
distro's run on these 2 machines. Of course Firefox is not installed as part
of the distro on earlier FCversions, so this is the way I do it.

I have to admit that my Debian Sarge install is still stuck at Firefox 1.0.4,
which is ridiculous, and I don't use it. I have the latest version of Opera
on that.

I don't suppose we want to get too paranoid about this. MS take ages to fix
problems to IE. Linux by contrast is usually quick with security fixes.
Personally, as a home user, I'm prepared to wait a bit. As Firefox is now
part of the FC5 distro, I'd expect them to be pretty quick on making the
latest version available, and will avoid me having to update Firefox manually
on yet another distro. I will keep an eye on how long it takes for
Firefox-1.5.0.4 to appear on the list of updates though.

Nigel.