HELP!! /dev/root mount failure

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Jun 10 09:45:01 UTC 2006

S.W. Bobcat wrote:
> First   it *is* ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>
> One place that you might want to check, is your root line. On my machine
> it says:
>                    root (hd0,2), *not* root (hd0,0).
>
> Just for fun try editing the root line so that it says (hd0,2), save
> then reboot and see if that does the trick, if not  you can always
> change it back  (use knoppix 10 mount the partician , se;lect actions-->
> make writable then edit menu.lst in GRUB and save.)

Of course that can vary from system to system....

The GRUB root file system is the top level of the specified device. For
example, the image file (hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz is located within the
/grub/ directory at the top-level (or root) of the (hd0,0) partition
(which is actually the /boot/ partition for the system).

So, instead of guessing at it one can look in the device.map (not sure
it is a good idea to assume that is correct at this point) file.  In my
case that file contains "(hd0)     /dev/sda" and the /boot is on the
first partition so for me it is hd0,0.

But, you are right....  Hadders did say e2label said /dev/hda1 was "/"
so it may not be hd0,0 on his system unless he doesn't have separate
partitions for / and /boot.

It seems Hadders' system has gotten hosed in some manner or another.  It
may actually make more sense to do what Terry has suggested.  Boot from
DVD in rescue mode and reinstall grub.  :-)