Usual "forbidden items" explanation

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-gmane.00001 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Sat Jun 10 16:26:25 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Rex Dieter:
>>> Not so mysterious, AFAIK, all the needed extra bits are at
>>> rpm.livna.org.
>> Hmm, I think it still deserves being referred to as mysterious.  I
>> don't recall it giving you any useful clues about how to get it
>> working.  You have to work it out through other means.  And it
>> still doesn't make sense about why it can't play some unencumbered
>> file types that other things already can.
>
> I'm sorry, I must have missed the list of unencumbered file types
> folks were having trouble to play.  I'm not having any particular
> issues, but will admit that my usage in this area may be a bit
> narrow.
>
> So, if it isn't too much trouble, could you list what formats are
> having problems with and if there is a link/file on the internet one
> can test against.

Certainly.

http://ia300124.us.archive.org/3/items/TrustedComputing/

"You do not have a decoder installed to handle this file." for the H264
or XviD. The Theora file only plays back audio, the video component is
missing.

MPlayer plays every MM file on that page without error.

Like I said, I've yet to find a file that Totem will actually play (at
all - or properly).

-
K.