Connecting to Windows Network via VPN

Derek Jander derekmailbox at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 17:32:01 UTC 2006

This should work in any RH/FC box afaik:

For use a windows share in your linux box (run as a root):

mount -t smbfs //server_name/share_name /mnt/whatever -o
username=username,password=password

If it doesn't work try to find the smbclient package and install it.

Regarding the name resolution, I don't know the VPN client you are using,
but usually on the VPN connections you use a virtual interface which can be
configured with the DNS servers of the windows network. Another possibility
is to add the server name to the /etc/hosts file.

rdesktop should work on any Windows RDP enabled machine. RDP must be
installed in windows 2000 server as a OS component but can be easily
activated in w2003 and XP boxes in MyPC "properties" and "remote" tab (I'm
not sure about the name since I use the spanish version).

I hope it helps.