m4p files

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Jun 10 17:57:02 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 13:38 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Globe Trotter wrote:
> > how does one play a m4p file? the following is what i get when i try
> > the command file on the file
> >
> > ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
>
> If I'm not mistaken, an m4p file is a protected (DRM'd) AAC file

Correct.

>  - the
> kind produced by the iTunes Music Store.  To play them you need to
> unlock them.  I believe that VLC[1] has some capabilities to do this,
> though I'm not sure on that or if those capabilities are built into
> any of the Fedora packages available.

I never got it to work. So I stopped buying drm music.
Supposedly crossover office can install iTunes, but it did not work for
me.

> Another possibility is the hymn-project[2].

I tried hymn as well - it seems that it was a cat and mouse game, soon
after a hymn release an iTunes release would break it. Not worth messing
with, so I just buy audio CDs and non DRM digital (IE magnatune)