Connecting to Windows Network via VPN

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 10 23:31:05 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 18:17 -0500, Bill Polhemus wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Can you connect with smbclient?
> >
> Lee:
>
> Here's what I tried, and what I got:
>
> # smbclient --ip-address xx.xx.xxx.xx --user myuser //myserver/myshare
> timeout connecting to xx.x.xxx.xx:445
> timeout connecting to xx.x.xxx.xx:139
> Error connecting to xx.x.xxx.xx (Operation already in progress)
> Connection to myserver failed
>
> I tried this first with,  and then without, the VPN (pptp) connection
> running, and got the same result.
----
Unless your remote doesn't have a firewall and the entire path from your
connection to the remote doesn't block ports 137-139 & 445, you aren't
likely to connect to the remote without a VPN. Blocking ports 137-139 &
445 with firewalls is what a firewall is supposed to accomplish.

Thus, you have to use a VPN. Once you are connected to the vpn, can you
ping the remote server? If you can't ping it, it's highly unlikely you
are going to be able to connect to it via smb/cifs client

Craig