Connecting to Windows Network via VPN

Bill Polhemus bill at polhemus.cc
Sun Jun 11 00:06:04 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Is the pptp connection giving you access to the rest of the
> network behind the connection, and is the server you
> want to access on the same subnet or do you need additional
> routing?  Start by trying to ping the remote ip address.

I can ping the remote address (which I ASSUME is a gateway), but I have
no idea how to "get access to the rest of the network." Perhaps I can go
to the Windows machine, and see if I can figure out the IP number of one
of the machines on the other side. I notice that I am assigned an IP
number in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx private address space, according to the
PPTP client's output, so I must be "in."

As I said, the way this HAS been working from a Windows client is, I
connect via VPN, then bring up the Remote Desktop Client, and type in
the machine name (I guess that's a NETBIOS name) for the host I want to
run Remote Desktop on, and it comes up, I log into that desktop and work
remotely. When I'm finished, I log off the desktop, then disconnect the VPN.

I assume that's the way it ought to work through the Linux client as
well--although the HELP file on KRDC (the KDE Remote Desktop Client)
doesn't really talk about Windows.