Question, about drive assignment when boot drive is sata

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jun 11 05:09:47 UTC 2006

I have a friend who's had drive failures out the yang over the last
week, and is involved in trying to install FC5 on his main server which
  has several other drives in it.

The boot drive, and the one he's installing FC5 to, is on a Promise SATA
card.

On the reboot after the install, it fails after unpacking vmlinuz, and
immediatly after 'starting udev', it fails the e2fsck of /dev/hda1.

We've looked at grub, looks good, as does /etc/fstab, so we have NDI
where, or why its looking for /dev/hda1 when it should be looking for
/dev/sda1.

I'm assuming this is probably a 'duh' item, but I don't have any SATA
stuff, so I'm out of ideas.  Whats the usual culprit for this?

--
Cheers, Gene