keyboard mode changing when not wanted

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 11 09:29:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

Every now and then my box will change some sort of keyboard mode,
WITHOUT ME DOING ANYTHING, and I cannot work out how to get back to
normal without a logging off then back on again, often having to do this
more than once, sometimes having to reboot.

e.g. I can no-longer type an ASCII apostrophe or double-quote, I have to
hit the key twice, then I will get a similar but not the same character
(e.g. fancy quotes).

This completely buggers up the ability to type in any command that
requires a single or double ASCII quote.

I will stress again, I have done nothing to select a change in mode, nor
even know how to do something like that deliberately.  It will
occasionally happen by itself, when I do something like open a new
e-mail, and it then it will change.

I currently have my system configured so that I use the right Windows
key to go into compose mode (where, for instance, typing that key, then
the apostrophe, then the e key would generate the é character).  I want
to retain this option, but I only want it to do that when I have pressed
the Windows key.

What is causing this, and how do I regain control?

I read messages from the public lists.