FC5 rpm database corrupt

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Jun 11 16:51:07 UTC 2006

This is the aftermath of problems described in my thread "FC5 unbootable after
yesterday's updates" from the past few days. There are some major problems
with my installation that I can't seem to resolve. I have multiple versions
of programs listed as installed - for example, if I run Synaptic, it says
that it detects 92 broken packages; in the list that pops up after clicking
the "OK" there are multiple programs listed as having multiple versions
installed. I don't use Synaptic to manage the system, but it's a useful
diagnostic tool on occasion. I've tried using yum remove and rpm -e to remove
some of these multiple packages but the system seems to go through the
removal process in a couple of seconds, and refreshing the list of installed
packages shows the program version I ostensibly removed, still installed.
I've tried "rpm --rebuilddb" and "yum clean all". I'm not sure where to go
with this. It's ironic, because I started with a clean install and the
intention of keeping the system exceptionally conservative; no additional
repos were added except the kde-redhat and livna repos. I did not turn on any
development sections of the repos, yet my system is seemingly more badly
munged than any I've ever built.

Suggestions welcome!
--
Claude Jones