Goto Command Line from Grub without X

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Jun 11 19:10:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 01:58:17PM -0500, Bob Hartung wrote:
> I guess that I was not clear.  I understand how to change the default
> action during boot by editing inittab.  Sometimes however, as when
> compiling the nVidida linux drivers, I must be in a non-X environment
> without X running at all.  In this case it would be nice to be able to
> boot to a non-X environment without editing inittab.  Such as before
> grub we could enter Linux 3 at boot and go to a non-X system without the
> inittab edit.

Sorry, you were clear; I just didn't read correctly.

Anyway, edit the kernel command line ("kernel....") to add " init 3"
to it. So, e.g.

  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/

becomes

  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/ init 3

Documentation on how to edit the command line is in the grub docs
and on the screen when grub is running. Such edits are not preserved,
which is what you want.