X crashing system

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 11 21:17:37 UTC 2006

I just switched from VGA to DVI output on my X700 ATI Radeon.
I'm using the livna fglrx drivers and running x86_64 FC5.

X works great until the server exits, then the system freezes
up absolutely solid with no hint of why. I don't even know if this
is likely to be a kernel bug or a fglrx bug or what.

I doubt there is an obvious solution to my problem, but perhaps
someone could tell me how to gather useful information that might
lead to one?

As comparison points, I have OpenSUSE 10.1 and i386 FC5 both
installed as alternate boots on this machine, and neither of those
exhibit the problem, it appears to be unique to x86_64. The SUSE
partition is using the X.org radeon driver, not fglrx, but the
FC5 i386 is using fglrx.

Naturally the OS I mostly want to run is the x86_64 FC5 that has
the problem :-).