Question, about drive assignment when boot drive is sata

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jun 11 21:37:41 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> I have a friend who's had drive failures out the yang over the last
> week, and is involved in trying to install FC5 on his main server which
>  has several other drives in it.
>
> The boot drive, and the one he's installing FC5 to, is on a Promise SATA
> card.
>
> On the reboot after the install, it fails after unpacking vmlinuz, and
> immediatly after 'starting udev', it fails the e2fsck of /dev/hda1.
>
> We've looked at grub, looks good, as does /etc/fstab, so we have NDI
> where, or why its looking for /dev/hda1 when it should be looking for
> /dev/sda1.
>
> I'm assuming this is probably a 'duh' item, but I don't have any SATA
> stuff, so I'm out of ideas.  Whats the usual culprit for this?

Things to check...questions to ask....

1.  What are the errors?  You don't say.

2.  Was the original drive a PATA and now you have a SATA?

3.  Check the /boot/grub/device.map file for "(hd0)     /dev/sda".

4.  If the answer to 2 is "yes" did you create a new initrd file for the
running kernel?

5.  You've looked at your grub.conf and fstab and you "think" there is
no problem....but we've not had the opportunity to do the same.  You may
want to consider having folks here take a look-see.

--
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it
holds